4th Newbury (St. Johns) Scout Group
The Group Scout Leader Role
Outline: To ensure the effective operation of the Scout Group and development of
Scouting within the group in accordance with Purpose, Principles and Policies of the
Responsible For: All Section Leaders & Assistants within the group and overview of
other roles including the Group Executive.
Responsible to: District Commissioner
Tasks / Responsibilities :
- Ensure the group has an adequate team of 'fit and proper' adults working
effectively together and with others to ensure group meets Scouting need for
- Ensure Adults are adequately supported and trained for role, including
Induction, review and development.
- Ensure that a challenging, exciting and balanced programme is carried out
throughout the sections and that adults have support where required to carry
out their tasks
- Resolve any problems that may occur within the Scout Group
- Act as a Charity Trustee of the Scout Group
- Annually nominate members to serve on the Group Executive in particular an
effective Group Chairman
- Ensure with the Group Executive that risk assessments are carried out and to
ensure that relevant First Aid provision, Fire regulations and authorisations
have been attained
- Attend Group Executive meetings. Present Resource and Financial
requirements identified by the leadership team
- Hold regular meetings of the Adult Leaders and promote communication links
/ activities between sections and ensure delivery of balanced programme.
- Recommend awards for Adult members of the group
- Ensure all Leaders and Assistants in Group carry out specific learning and are
keeping adequate records of the development of their Personal Learning Plans
- Ensure with the Executive that effective administration, record keeping and
communication happen within the group
- Produce and implement a Group Development Plan that ensures the Scout
Group continues to meet the potential Scouting needs within the area
- Attend District GSL meetings and maintain effective communication with the
DC and District team and any other members of the community whose support
could assist the group.
At all times up hold the fundamental values of Scouting
The above tasks are to be undertaken by the GSL or delegated to the most appropriate
member of the group team.
© 4th Newbury (St. Johns) Scout Group, 2019